Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Perspective


So often in my life I get caught up in worrying about the future. It sometimes gets so bad that I seize up and lose all sense of reason and logic. I start to get overly dramatic, stating extremes and how everything is going wrong. This attitude is something I've been striving to improve, but I admit it still happens more than it should.

Today I had the opportunity to chat with someone who helped me to stop and look around. I thought this picture was a perfect depiction of the way I feel. You can see the trail a little ways ahead, but not beyond. The only thing anyone can control at any moment is your actions right now. Slow down and look around you. What do you see?

I see the blessings of the restored gospel in my life. I see a family who loves me unconditionally. I see a good job that sustains me. I see the opportunity for education. I see the sunshine out my window. I feel the love of a Heavenly Father who is cheering me on, my biggest fan. I see dear friends who drop in at random just to say how much they love me. 

There is no sense in worrying about things over which you have zero control. On the other hand, it is perfectly reasonable to be concerned with here and now and what actions are being taken to improve the present. This will inevitably improve the future. Taking that a step further, think now what you wish you would have done six months ago and do it. I love this quote: 

"If we are ever in doubt what to do, it is a good rule to ask ourselves what we shall wish on the morrow that we had done." - Sir John Lubboc

As we all know, this is not a cure-all, and problems will still arise. How we deal with those problems is the bigger issue. My friend Rachel shared this quote with me by Elder Uchtdorf 

"Enduring adversity is not the only thing you must do to experience a happy life. Let me repeat: how you react to adversity and temptation is a critical factor in whether or not you arrive at your own 'happily ever after.'"

The purpose of this post was to put in writing some of the thoughts that visit me daily. I'll be the first to admit that I don't always look for the silver lining or the light at the end of the tunnel. However, I do try. The important thing is to not give up. 

There is so much to be thankful for and to smile about. To end I'd like to share the lyrics of a song by Nat King Cole that hit me hard yesterday.

Smile though your heart is aching 
Smile even though it's breaking 
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by 
If you smile through your fear and sorrow 
Smile and maybe tomorrow 
You'll see the sun come shining through for you 

Light up your face with gladness 
Hide every trace of sadness 
Although a tear may be ever so near 
That's the time you must keep on trying 
Smile, what's the use of crying? 
You'll find that life is still worthwhile 
If you just smile 

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I really like the Sir John Lubboc quote. I don't think I've ever heard that. Good luck looking for those silver linings in the present!

Marisa Jean said...

I like the Sir John quote, too. Good advice!

It's always find the good in situations and not get down--but remember that you are perfectly normal to wonder and be worried for the future. You have a LOT of big decisions ahead of you. Don't put yourself down for thinking of how your decisions will affect the rest of your life. I think you're a very optimistic person. Chin up! :)