Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Snapshot of My Life



Sometimes it takes a little nudge to remember how good things really are. Of course life always has its downsides. If not for those, we'd never really appreciate the good.

We have just one lifetime to live, just one allotment of precious time to spend as we will. Everyone's experiences are different, catered to their individual needs. I often find myself thinking about my life and what I've done so far and where I find myself today. It is easy to start comparing myself to my peers and picking apart the differences. I get caught up in the thoughts of all that I don't have. But then I am reminded that everyone's story is different, and for a reason. We don't all need the same experiences. We are distinct individuals with different needs. I was not married at 20, I do not yet have my bachelors degree and I only just moved out of my parents house, however, let me share with you the things that I DO have and for which I am so incredibly thankful.

I am an aunt. I have been for the past 11 years. Let me tell you, it is the coolest thing to have so many delightful children love you so freely and jump with excitement when you come to visit them. I have 18 going on 20 of these beautiful children of God in my life.

I have 5 going on 6 sister-in-laws. When I was five years old and my mother was pregnant with her last child I pleaded with Heavenly Father for a little sister. But, as I said earlier, we all have our needs. I needed my little brother. I will talk about that a little later. Sister-in-Laws rock. I get to have all the benefits of sisters without the teenage drama. It is fabulous. I'm so thankful my brothers picked such amazing women to be their wives and even more so I'm so glad they picked my brothers. I couldn't have asked for a better group.

Six brothers. Yes, six. One might wonder if I turned out a little tom boyish. The answer? Kind of. I love tools and digging in and working, however, I did not learn that from my brothers. I learned it from my mom. I am also quite the girly girl. I love to dress up and look pretty. But, back to the boys. I love my brothers. They all have a unique part in our family. I couldn't do without any of them. As we've grown to adulthood my relationships with them have been strengthened. I rely on them for so much. I look to them as examples in my life. They are my pillars of strength. My youngest brother, the one I prayed to be a girl, has been my best friend since the day he was born.

My parents are my heros. I don't always give them the credit they deserve...and at times I know I take them for granted. I say here and now that my parents have been the best I could have ever asked for. They love me and show that love so freely. They are my biggest fans. They would do anything to make me happy.

I must add one more family member. My aunt Cindy. She has been like a second mother to me. She was at every birthday and family gathering. She has always been so good to me. I know I can count on her for anything.

I could go on and on about my family, but this just gives a small window into the love I feel for them.

I have the most incredible job. I get to set my own pace, work in a clean happy environment, help wonderful people and always have weekends off. Plus I'm more than halfway to being fully vested in the pension plan. Not a bad deal.

I am a university student. The last time I attended a university was in 2004. Now here I am years later giving it another go. Its taken me a while, but I'm learning. My mind is being challenged and enlightened.

One final victory to share. I am 100% self sufficient. I live on my own, pay my own bills and buy my own groceries. I have wanted that for so long. I know I couldn't do it without my Heavenly Father. None of the blessings I have would be mine without His help.

And so, though I am often still reminded of what I still long for, I have enough for now. For this is MY journey, my life and my happiness.

No comments: