Thursday, September 15, 2011

A lesson Learned

This semester I am taking my very first accounting class. Its been a lot of work, but I have learned a lot too. 

This week I have an assignment to write an essay describing how my personal ethics have been developed and how it relates to business and my future. 

The assignment specifically requires personal experiences. I was reminded of a time back in high school. I had to make some copies for a school assignment. My Dad was a teacher at my high school so I asked him if he thought it would be okay if I used the copy machine in the counseling office. He said that would be fine as long as I paid for the copies. I complained telling him that nobody would care about two or three sheets of paper, but he reminded me about honesty and accountability. So I grudgingly went to make the copies and handed some change to the head secretary informing her what I was paying for. She seemed surprised by my offer to pay, but accepted it and thanked me.

That was years ago. Today I work in an office environment. It is all too easy to use the computer to print things for my own personal use. In fact, as I was about to write this very paper for my class, I thought about typing it up on my work computer so I could just print it out at work. Then it hit me. Was I really about to write a paper on ethics, including the story about making copies in high school, while violating the very principles I am trying to defend? 

Instead I decided to take action. I contacted our accountant and asked how much I owe for the paper and ink I have used. (obviously I had neglected the wisdom I was taught so long ago up to now) He kindly assisted me in crunching some numbers. The debt has been paid and my integrity has been redeemed. Now I can write the paper with a clear mind, knowing I have abided by my standards.

Funny how life's lessons so easily come full circle.

1 comment:

Marisa Jean said...

I'm certain I owe at least $100 for all the personal printing I've done. Ug. It really does stick with you. I should probably pay that debt, too, so I can finally have a clear mind.