Friday, April 13, 2012

Life's Sweet Moments

I like to use this blog as sort of a memoir of my thoughts and experiences. Over the past few days I had the opportunity to attend two special events.

First the back story of event 1:

Rewind back to middle school, this began in 1997. There I was, an awkward 12 year old. But that's not really important. Back in those days I met a girl named Chelsey. She was fun, energetic and enthusiastic. I was honored to know her. She was one of the "cool" kids. We made our way through those awkward middle school years and on through high school. Chelsey was always one of those people who you could depend on. One of the unique things about Chelsey was that she was not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. I say unique because most of my friends were members. This didn't matter though because she was always a good sweet person and it didn't matter what her religion was.

Fast forward to conference weekend spring 2012. The Sunday morning session of conference had just ended. The closing song was "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". This particular song was sung at my high school graduation. Seconds after the session ended I got a message from Chelsey asking if we had sung that song in high school. I told her that we had (thinking in the back of my mind, why is Chelsey watching general conference?). Then I got the news, Chelsey was getting baptized. I was elated. Words cannot express the joy I felt at hearing that news.

This week I attended Chelsey's baptism. It was the sweetest, most spiritual baptism I have ever witnessed. Her husband baptized her. I could not hold back my tears of joy. She was beaming. I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the incredible power it has on the hearts of the children of God.


Back story of event 2:

Late in the summer of 2007 I was on my mission in Illinois. It was at this time that I was transferred to my last and final area, Watseka Illinois. In this area I was assigned to a district of 6 missionaries. One of them was a quiet but strong young man named Elder Sellers. I came to have a high respect for this missionary. Though we didn't talk much, I knew he was a good man.

Fast forward to post-mission. Elder Sellers and I became g-chat buddies. He would update me on his life and how everything was going. We talked about dating woes, school and work.

Recently he proposed to the love of his life and yesterday I was blessed to make it to their wedding reception. I got there a bit late because I had class right before, so the party was well under way. After sampling some delicious food I made my way over to the happy couple. I first found Elder Sellers. I'll never forget the look on his face when he saw me. (I told him I wouldn't be able to make it due to school) He was so thrilled to see me. I gave him a big hug and wished him my congratulations. He looked so happy and content. I congratulated his wife as well and just before I left I took one last look. This is a couple who have found true happiness. I love going to weddings for dear friends when you know what it took to get them there. It makes the experience all the sweeter.


Isn't life about people? Relationships? Its so easy to get caught up in technology, work, school and whatever else that distracts us. But when it comes down to it, the only thing we take with us is the experiences we've had and the people we've shared them with. Isn't it more important that we be there for one another than anything else? I am so thankful for the friendships I've made in my life and the people that surround me.

1 comment:

Marisa Jean said...

Two amazing stories! I especially loved the first story!!!