Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Tribute to my Dad


Don Findlay was born August 30, 1952. He married Catherine, August 28, 1974. After 5 boys they had me, child number six, a daughter. I came into a wonderful family with the best dad in the world. Let me tell you a little bit about this wonderful man.
My Dad is a music teacher. This career has had a great impact on my family. His passion and love for music has penetrated to his children in a very positive way. All of his children play a musical instrument and married people who are also musically gifted. 
My Dad raised me on good music. Classical 89 was the standard station preset in every vehicle. We learned to appreciate the beauty of music. 
My Dad also has a great sense of adventure. Some of my greatest childhood memories are of trips to explore places we'd never been before. We would all pile into the big blue van and go exploring. We often seemed to end up on treacherous mountain roads with a rock face on one side and a steep cliff off to the other side. Was I nervous? Yes, but I trusted that my Dad would get us home safely. And he always did.
My Dad has a great sense of humor. I love his laugh. He is also quite ticklish which is a trait my Mom loves to take advantage of whenever he's having a bad day and needs to smile. In fact, that is the case with ALL the male Findlays. Well...with me as well.
My Dad has a very deep and abiding testimony of the Savior and his gospel. He is an avid student of the scriptures. He studies them every day. I appreciate his efforts to have our family read scriptures and pray together every morning. I tend to grumble sometimes, but I really do appreciate it. It makes my day go better when started with these devotionals. 
My Dad is a very hard worker. He always has to be doing something. I will forever be grateful for the sacrifices he made for our family. The most notable being that he has always worked two jobs so that my Mother could stay home with the family. I feel extremely blessed to have been raised in such conditions. 
My Dad makes me feel like a princess. He often compliments me and expresses his love to me. He is a perfect gentleman, never hesitating to open my door. I have come to expect a lot from my future spouse because of the wonderful example of my Dad. I want my children to have a Dad just as amazing as mine. Happy Father's Day Dad! I love you!

2 comments:

cuzimmom said...

I think because of the example your Father is, all of your brothers are excemplary men!!!

brandie said...

That was beautiful. He is all those things.