Sunday I attended my new ward for the first time. In the middle of sacrament meeting I experienced one of the most powerful musical experiences of my life. A small family, mother, father and daughter, played an arrangement of "Consider the Lilies". The Dad played the piano while the mother and 8 year old daughter played their violins. I wish there were words to express the emotions that flooded through me while I listened to this powerful music. The young girl was the most incredible musician. She played with perfect poise and confidence. Her sound was exquisite. As I sat there watching this talented little family it made me realize how much I have allowed myself to drift from my musical background.
I have played the violin for 17 years. I have yet to achieve the ability of this young girl. I never aimed to be a great musician, but I always loved making music. It was something that relaxed and empowered me. I envy my siblings who continue to use their talents even into their adult lives with jobs and children. Here I sit alone and single with my violin collecting dust in a closet.
I believe a resolution is in order. Its a little early for New Years Resolutions, but then I don't think its ever a bad time to make a change. I resolve to dust off my violin and start to seriously play again, even if its just once per week, I am going to do it. I have allowed a hole in my life. Its time that hole was filled again.
3 comments:
Oh I like this very much :)
YES! Jason will hit the roof too! Go, Catie, GO!
What a great resolution! I always thought your family was so talented. I don't have a talented bone in my body when it comes to music. I can't wait to hear the updates.
Post a Comment