Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Shifting Focus
I love the concept of simplicity. Have you ever stopped to think about how the world has become increasingly complex? The other day as I was driving through the Salt Lake valley I wondered what it must have been like to live here when the pioneers first settled. I know their lives were not easy, but it sure seems like their lives were more simple. They didn't have to worry about filing income taxes, charging cell phones, car problems, or paying a utility bill.
However, they did have to worry about crops doing well, so that they'd have food for the winter, sickness, adequate shelter and many other things. So, I suppose its a trade-off. No matter what generation you live in, you will have difficulty and trials.
So how do you have simplicity in your life? I believe it comes from perspective. Take a step back and look at the big picture. Do you ever find yourself buried so deep in your problems that you feel surrounded by darkness?
My life felt a lot more under control when I was younger. I had a plan laid out before me. My job was to go to school, do my homework, be nice to my siblings, and help around the house. Then something happened. I finished school, at least the first chunk. When I turned 21 I decided to go on a mission. I had many reasons for going, one quite nice perk was knowing I'd have great purpose in my life for 18 straight months. My path was laid out.
Now my future is as uncertain as the weather. I have a rough idea of what to expect, but the details of how my life will be laid out before me are unclear. That terrifies me.
I've decided that I need to make a serious shift to faith. I need to be more humble. I need to rely more on the Savior. I need to accept that I cannot do it alone, and that does not mean I am weak, it means I'm human.
This morning I was studying the words of John in the New Testament. It led me to ponder on the words of the 10 commandments. The very first being "Thou shalt have no other gods before me". Its easy to get caught up in the day to day. Its what we see. I fall snare to this all the time. We have access to an infinite supply of love and help. Why do we not take advantage of it?
So what am I saying? I want to live my life simply. I want to spend more time on helping others and less time on worrying about myself. I want to remember the big picture. We are on this earth to be tested. When all is said and done, will it really matter if we dropped our brand new iPhone on the cement two days after purchase? Will it matter if we clocked in 6 minutes late from a lunch break? Will it matter if you said something embarrassing in front of the guy you have a crush on? NO.
Its not about the little mistakes you make, its about how you react to them. Remember the important things. Remember the people who surround you. Reach out to others with love and kindness. Don't stress about the small things. Just keep moving forward. And as one final thought, stop worrying so much about dating. I have made a goal to focus more on the Savior.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good post, Catie. Good post.
Post a Comment