Saturday, December 10, 2011

Day 9 {The Power of a Name}



What is it about our name that has such profound significance? It is the word that identifies us, it is part of who we are. Do you not feel a stronger connection with someone when they know you by name and use it rather than not? Everyone likes to hear their own name.

Yesterday I made an extra effort to call people by their name as I helped them at work. Its a small thing, but I believe it makes a big difference. Would you feel valued if you were spoken to by name when you went to your financial institution? I know I would.  I love to see the glimmer in people's eyes when I use their name, especially when I may not know them very well. I have a slight advantage since I have their name plastered on the computer screen in front of me, but then, I wear my name tag, so its easy for them as well.

My work situation is unique in that I help just a small group of people. However, I love that I can really connect with them, rather than just serving them and sending them out the door. I have real relationships with the members I help and it brings me a lot of fulfillment. I've been able to cultivate and nourish those relationships by starting with the seed of their name.

I invite you to take a moment and consciously resolve to make an increased effort to use people's names. You'll be amazed by the positive results.

No comments: